7. Evaluation

How have you used or challenged the codes and conventions identified from your research?

To appeal to Wave's young unisex target audience, all of my models are in couples and the majority of them are topless. This is a convention of deodorant adverts targeted at young people as it suggests that the product gives young people sex appeal and makes them more sexually attractive to other people. One convention I identified when analysing the Calvin Klein CK2 advert was the emphasis of diversity to attract individuals with different sexual orientations and ethnicities. I have used this convention in my advertisement by including one gay couple, one lesbian couple and one straight couple. This presents Wave as an accepting and inclusive brand, making it appeal to a wider audience.

How have your digital technology skills developed?

Before completing this project, I had never used an SLR camera. I now understand the basic functions of an SLR and how to use them to the best of their ability to capture industry-standard shots. In addition, I have developed skills with lighting equipment and photo editing software as I have had to use trial and error to get the best shots for my advertisement. This method has helped me to understand what types of lighting work best for certain types of image.

Discuss how you have used the four areas of the media theoretical framework to communicate meaning in your advertisements.

I have used media language to communicate Wave's unisex brand image as I have featured three different couples including both males and females, showing that the product is for men and women. As two of the couples featured in my advertisement are homosexual couples, I have conveyed the message that Wave is inclusive and can be used by anyone, regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.

I have applied the conventions of the advertising industry as I have used media language and semiotics to convey the brand image, and I have featured the product in my advertisement as well as images of models.

I have specifically constructed my advertisement for Wave deodorant to appeal to a young unisex audience as I have analysed the codes and conventions of other advertisements targeting this audience and have applied them to my advertisement. For example, I have featured young couples in minimal clothing to convey the idea that Wave increases teenagers' sex appeal (a convention of deodorant adverts targeted at young men and women).

In terms of representation, I have presented homosexual couples as equal to heterosexual couples in order to present Wave as an inclusive brand, ensuring that males and females of all sexual orientations are interested in the product and are encouraged to purchase it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1: Analysis of Existing Deodorant Adverts - Lynx Dry

3. Analysis of Existing Deodorant Adverts - Calvin Klein CK2

2: Analysis of Existing Deodorant Adverts - Dove